UTV Action
Welcome! If you're not registered, please do so! We'd love to have you join our growing community.
Already a member? Log in!
UTV Action
Welcome! If you're not registered, please do so! We'd love to have you join our growing community.
Already a member? Log in!
UTV Store

No ads available.

Add an ad

View all ads

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

UTV ATV CommunityUTV
    Want more updates? Follow us on Twitter!

Wild Hare Mfg.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UAA
    UAA
    Admin
    https://utvaction.forumotion.com

PostUAA Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:32 pm

If you're a working stiff that owns a piece of property, you probably have more outside jobs to complete on said property than you have time. Furthermore, if you're an ATV owner who's also longed for a sub-compact tractor to help out, but you simply can't justify the expense, we might just have a better solution for you. Over the past few months, I've had the opportunity to get to know Wild Hare Mfg's ATV Implement System. With electro-hydraulic attachments available for both the front and rear, you can turn your ATV into a serious working steed and get those stubborn, laborious jobs done without breaking a sweat!
    Wild Hare Mfg ATV Implement System

ATV Rider
    1 of 14

I'm a firm believer that testing a product from a manufacturer also means we should receive the equipment in the same fashion as the Average Joe buying it. So...when our pallet of implement parts arrived by freight, we got right to work assembling everything. We could have chosen really any ATV to mount the system to, but my model of choice was the 2018 Honda Rubicon 500 Automatic DCT EPS Deluxe. My reasoning was simple. The Rubicon has electric power steering, a gear driven manual transmission with high and low range, proper metal racks, and one of the best reliability records on the planet.

Assembling the implements was simple and straightforward. Mounting the loader to the ATV, in our case, wasn't terribly tricky either. The newer style Rubicon's are slightly wider than the previous model, so we had to do some simple floorboard trimming for proper fitment. The amount of trimming on other installs will obviously vary depending on the ATV model used. Wild Hare has sold plenty of systems that have been installed on numerous manufacturer models. If you're wondering how well the system will work on yours, give them a shout.

The heart of every Wild Hare Mfg system is their hydraulic pump. Powered by a deep cell battery (which I commissioned from my boat while it hibernates in winter storage), the hydraulics have plenty of power to run both the front and rear hydraulic systems. Switching between the front and rear hydro systems is as simple as rotating two valves plumbed into the pump.

ATV Rider
    2 of 14

ATV Rider
    3 of 14

ATV Rider
    4 of 14

Loader/Forks:

In my opinion, the implement prospective owners will likely use the most is the front loader and bucket. I remember back when I bought my first sub-compact tractor, I figured the mulch I spread once a year might be one of my only opportunities to use the bucket. In hindsight, I was totally wrong. If you've never owned a front loader, there are dozens of things you'll use it for that you never imagined. For me, it runs the gamut from material moving to a platform I stand on to hang outdoor Christmas lights. The forks have also proven to be a helpful addition to my arsenal. I obviously like the forks for picking up pallets. But, I also like them for helping move the countless dead ash tree carcasses I've had to cut down on my property as well.

ATV Rider
    5 of 14

ATV Rider
    6 of 14

ATV Rider
    7 of 14

Rear 3 Point Hitch:

You'll never understand the effectiveness of a three-point hitch until you have your own. Built to accept numerous rear attachments and simply raise and lower them to interact with the ground, their objective is simple, yet crucial. The lift capacity was incredible, with the ability to effortlessly lift any of the attachments we hooked up. This hydro rear hitch fortunately also provides down-pressure. This gives tools like the rear cultivator the ability to bite into hard, dry soil.

ATV Rider
    8 of 14

ATV Rider
    9 of 14

ATV Rider
    10 of 14

Rear Cultivator/Disc:

The soil on my property isn't great. I assumed the fact that we hadn't had any real rain in 6-8 weeks might make a less than idea situation even worse. WIth the down pressure of the three-point hitch, the rear cultivator did an outstanding job of turning over a large section of grass to expose the soil beneath it. After spreading a special mixture of seed and using the rear disc to help spread and mix the soil over the seed, I'm hoping we end up with a nice food plot for the deer to feed on over the harsh winters we have here in the northeast.

ATV Rider
    11 of 14

ATV Rider
    12 of 14

Rear Box Blade:

The star of the show for me on this whole project was the rear box blade. I had never used one before this experience, so I immediately got to work helping to level out a 250' gravel driveway to my garage that's been bugging me for years. I wasn't looking to tear up the driveway, but rather skim off the high spots to fill in the low spots. My driveway has never looked better! But, the real test for me was dragging my neighbor's gigantic horse riding facility. Over the years, they've drug the mixture of sand and cracker dust with a homemade "dragger" to help knock the high spots off, but they never had anyone use a box blade. I lowered the tines to the middle setting and started making loops. The box blade made quick work of leveling everything out for an extra smooth riding surface! It did such an awesome job that I fully expect to be back helping them out in the future.

Snow Plow Blade:

Wild Hare's snow plow is also really cool. While we've not yet used it due to the summer and fall weather, it's a unique setup compared to a typical ATV plow. The worst trait of a normal ATV snow plow is their innate tendency to "float" due to a lack of down pressure. With the Wild Hare plow, the hydraulics give it the ability to provide down pressure. This means icy, nasty, slushy snow that is normally a challenge will be much easier to handle and will resist floating over the snow.

ATV Rider
    13 of 14

ATV Rider
    14 of 14

Thoughts on an ATV vs Sub-Compact Tractor:

I own a sub-compact tractor that is probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've worked it to the bone year after year and I can't imagine life on my property without it. As much as I love the tractor, it has some weaknesses. Some of the biggest weaknesses of a sub-compact tractor happen to also be the most profound strengths of an ATV using Wild Hare implements.

Every tractor I've ever been on has a rear differential lock, but ATV's are also built with a locked rear diff as well. While a front differential locker on a sub-compact tractor doesn't exist, many ATV's, including our Rubicon, come with a front locker standard. That means in super-low traction situations, the ATV will likely negotiate terrain a tractor could only dream of.

No matter what ATV the Wild Hare system is mounted on, the ride will be far superior to a normal tractor. Since a tractor has no suspension and very little ground clearance, an ATV loader system makes sense if it needs to be operated on uneven terrain. With that thought in mind, the lower center of gravity on the ATV also makes the operation on uneven terrain safer. I've had my tractor on two wheels far too many times, and those experiences alone afford me the ability to say I feel much safer operating the Wild Hare system in places I'd never consider taking my tractor.

One of my favorite features of the Wild Hare ATV implement system is how quickly, efficiently, and comfortably I can get from point A to point B. In simplest terms, tractors are slow and ATV's aren't. So...even though I wouldn't recommend riding the ATV fast with the loader attached, it will still cover more ground quicker than a tractor.

At the end of the day, having an extra set of tools in your arsenal that can also help take care of serious work on your property is a plus. When you factor in the idea that the "set of tools" I'm referring to can easily be added and removed from your ATV if a weekend of trail riding with the family is in order, the decision starts making even more sense. I have really enjoyed my experience with the Wild Hare Mfg implement system so far, and I'm looking forward to the many jobs we'll throw its way in the future!

Wild Hare Mfg. D80_6729

https://www.atvrider.com/wild-hare-mfg-atv-implement-system#page-2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum